Rialto tenants rally together to raise money for a community member in need
For the past five years, Craig has sold the Big Issue to Rialto tenants – never without a beaming smile. Craig’s current powered wheelchair is over eight years old, and no longer meets his needs, but was quoted $25,228.30 for a new one.
Within a week of the original announcement, plans had been made for morning teas and evening drinks across the building, with individuals in various tenancies taking ownership and organising everything from scratch. Here’s a rundown of every Rialto community fundraising event since the announcement:
• PEXA held a gin-tasting event, raising $700
• Nevett Ford’s evening drinks raised $800
• A gold coin donation at Fordham raised $1080
• Grant Thornton organised two morning teas, raising a total of $1050
• Enterprise Architects opened a donation box in their kitchen, with management matching employee donations 2:1, raising $1000
• K&L Gates held their own morning tea raising an enormous $2500
• Hall & Wilcox organised a morning tea with four decadent hampers raffled off, raising $1182
• Regus organised evening drinks, raising $1200, and plan to double this with a corporate matched donation
• Minter Ellison held three separate events: a huge morning tea, a cocktail evening and a fabulous hamper raffle (including Möet & Chandon Champagne, a Bruno Loubet cookbook and T2 teas), raising a total of $3212
• The Portal auction of signed Maria Sharapova and Jenson Button items, donated by LVMH Tag Heuer, raised $180
The Rialto Joint Venture donated a spectacular $5000 to the fund, smashing our target of $15,438.30.
"This effort by so many people does something to restore your faith in humanity.”
"I can still move around and feel everything, but I’m restricted to a wheelchair. But I don’t mind at all. I look at life as a big Ferris wheel – it keeps going around and around." - Craig